Since soon the temperatures will reach quite high levels - if we do not already have them - we wanted to review some concepts about the different types of awnings, fabrics and their main characteristics to protect our home from sunlight, balcony, terrace or garden from a perspective of coherence and professionalism.
Since in reality we did not know much about the subject of install an awningWell, we asked the best, and we went directly to Madrid in search of answers to the awning installation company Solstore, which in addition to being recommended by several fellow architects for its technical quality in the installation, has a range of high-quality products related to the world of enclosures and solar protection for windows, terraces , garden, porches … etc.
The awnings for homes they constitute one of the most classic mechanisms of mobile-fixed external shielding in Spain. They can generally be vertical, projected or horizontal, and not only serve for the protection from solar radiation or the heat, too graduated ventilation or protect from atmospheric conditions adverse, among other points.
Now, we have to review what are the types of awnings most common that we will find in the market:
A fixed awning It is a welded frame that is permanently attached to a wall. These should not be moved and become a permanent addition to your home or business.
|Built to be strong and durable||Requires more maintenance|
|Complete protection against the weather||Orientation cannot be changed|
|Ideal for smaller areas like windows and doors||Requires support to cover a large area|
A retractable awning it also attaches to the housing, but can be opened or pulled back to provide as much or as little coverage as you like. The retractable awnings are extended with motorized controls or manually with a crank. They are divided according to the structure of the mechanism and are mainly three:
* We remember that each manufacturer has its peculiarities in mechanisms and arms, both fixed and articulated or automated.
|Can be wall or ceiling mounted||Can't stand the bad weather|
|Can be stored in bad weather||The initial expense is higher|
|Frame requires less maintenance||Repairs are expensive|
|Ideal for patios and decks|
Depending on the manufacturer and customer needs, the optional features of the retractable awnings They are varied and can be purchased as a basic model or with additional functions that make them easier to use. We list three commonly available features:
Best of all, retractable awnings practically disappear when not in use. Virtually all manufacturers already have a model of this type.
We want to show a comparison of the parts of an awning simple to complex, so that we can recognize the complexity they have reached:
Different materials require different amounts of maintenance and suit the appearance of certain homes over others.
From simple rigid to retractable models, they currently come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes and materials. While traditional awning styles were often made from wood, metal, or cotton canvas with simple styling, their modern cousins feature more durable materials that require much less maintenance.
The awning fabrics They generally come in two different types of fabrics, with one or two different treatments:
|Vinyl or laminate coating
As the specialists of Solstore, advances in technology have of course also reached the world of Solar protection and its tissues. For example:
According to the Technical Building Code and the IDAE (Institute for Diversification and Energy Saving) recommendations are established that determine the angle of inclination that they must have according to the orientation. We want to add a scheme with the most characteristic data to determine what angle should the awnings have in relation to the vertical and horizontal of the facing:
Although obviously the qualified professional is there to advise us, we can remember some key points:
- Sun protection. It is the fundamental purpose, the fabric must be of good quality that I blocked between 99% and 90 of the UV rays, and the infrared rays thus we will avoid the sensation of heat, managing to limit the temperature and regulate it, achieving that expected energy saving that together with quality glazing, we will have a perfect optimization of the environment.
Remember that micro-perforated fabrics not only protect us from the sun in the tent, but also allow indoor-outdoor micro ventilation, avoiding the greenhouse effect.
- Visible light and density. A good awning forcefully reduces the light intensity of the environment avoiding a very annoying and damaging glare for the eyes, which together with the blinds in the homes, provide excellent light control.
- The color of the fabric. The tonality influences the freshness it offers and the filtering of the rays, that is, a canvas with a darker color will have a higher percentage of filtered rays but we will also have more darkness towards the interior of the house. Taking this premise, we should use intermediate tones.
- Restrictions. Remember that at the time of buy an awning If you live in a community of neighbors, it is possible that there are specific rules regarding sizes, colors, etc. You must ask!
Keep in mind that today they are offered in all kinds of styles to suit any budget and location. For doors, although it may not seem like it, they are equally suitable for residential or commercial applications and create a convenient shed as well as looking great.
If you liked this article, share it!